Tuesday, March 18, 2008

One year on

It is one year on from the news that shocked not only the cricketing world but everyone, mostly because of what happened after Bob Woolmer's death. I can't believe that it is one YEAR ago today that Bob died - it doesn't seem that long ago and it still remains a sad loss to cricket and in general. One piece already written is here from a Pakistan Cricket blog.
Although this blog has not been updated for a while it outlines the ups and downs of the circumstances surronding his death - because that is what (sadly) what the focus was. Usama on the cricket is life blog outlines the problems the police faced in the investigation and how the inquest went.
The cause of death and the coverage must have been hard to take for his family - one minute it was a heart attack next he was murdered. I'm not laying the blame here but you need to make sure you are right before you announce something like that, it was not known at the time how Bob had died and all these theories did not help anyone.
When I was researching this post I found this and it would have been a good tribute to Bob but unfortunately praticalities get in the way again as I am sure most people would have enjoyed watching 20-20 cricket and especially as it was a tribute to one of the games greats.
Something else that has disturbed me is this article in sports illustrated that says the room where Mr. Woolmer died has now become a "tourist attraction". In my opinion that is just wrong, why would anyone want to go there and see that? Not that there would be anything to see - I really can't understand some people especially at times like this.
In summary this has pretty much said what I was going to say but I think that needs to be left in the past and we should remember Bob for the great cricketer and coach he was.
BOB WOOLMER 1948-2007

No comments: