Monday, March 24, 2008

The life of your Average "sporty" Joe

Just less than two hours to go before England take the field in Napier ahead of day 4 of the third test against New Zealand. Go here if you want to see highlights from day three.
I have been watching it from the comfort of my own (technically my parents...) living room from the start of day one to the end of day three (ok, so at tea on day one I went to bed as England were playing awful - I'm a fickle fan what can I say?). Highlight of the test so far was day one when the host's cameras failed so we revered to watching 1950's cricket with a camera only at one end of the ground!
And so far I can so I am a very happy Cricket fan especially for seeing the Preston North End and Preston Cricket Club flags flying from one of the stands! It is a small world...
Jonathan Agnew presents his views of the test so far on the BBC's special test match blog and the full scorecard (updated through the night if you haven't got score - this is as good place as any to keep updated with text commentary.) But England, despite being awful in their first innings, except for KP, were not quite as bad as the Kiwis as AP Webster says anything England can do, New Zealand can do better, well worse.
Ahead of day 4 with a declaration soon to be offered, probably when (if?) Strauss reaches 200 New Zealand will have to chase over 500 runs to avoid a 2-1 series defeat.
It does look hopeless for the Kiwi's and England should have saved themselves from a very poor series defeat. The future for New Zealand batting looks quite bleak, especially with Fleming retiring after this test match but Southee will be a good bowler so overall there is hope for them.
Well I am off to enjoy some cricket - a few hours of slogging away, a declaration then some wickets to put NZ out of the game.
We'll just have to see if it runs into day five or not, personally I hope not as I have to be up at 9am for the rest of the week so the quicker England win the better ;)

No comments: