Friday, February 05, 2010

One WHOLE year

Yes, that is right it has been one WHOLE year since me and my grandad first boarded the plane to fly to Melbourne, via Dubai.

The plane had to defrost its wings at 8:10pm but arrived to 40-0dd degree heat on what will forever be known as Black Saturday in Melbourne on February 7.

I remember me and my grandad arriving at 06:35 from Dubai and we were both jetlegged (obviously!) but even at that time could feel the heat and were aware of "some bushfires".

I unpacked a bit of my stuff went outside and the breath was taken away by the heat so early in the morning - not used to it being English!

After a sleep the rest of the day was spent acclimatising and growing ever increasingly aware of how horrific the bushfires were actually turning out to be.

I know I will never forget that time and working for Fairfax, whilst not having too much of an active role during the actual fires, I was heavily involved in the reporting of the aftermath right until I left in September.

The anniversary was marked by services for the 173 that died and for all the survivors, some who lost everything others who, I am guessing, are still haunted by what happened but hopefully the rebuilding and the Royal Commission's findings can do some good to prevent any bushfires being this bad ever again.

No comments: