Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Scanning for signs of life

I have been against body scanners since I first heard about them although I have not been through one just yet.

However, today highlights the news that they may be unlawful from the Equality and Human Rights Commission under the Human Rights Act.

I missed the story that concerns were actually raised about a month ago and I have to admit (before I saw this) I was very surprised more people weren't against full body scanners that leave you "naked."

Passengers who refuse to submit to a scan will be barred from their flights and I know it is mostly a security issue after the attempted plane bomb over the holiday period but these things were rushed through so fast I am as dubious about them as most people.

It is a tough issue because on one hand, of course we want to do everything to stop potential terrorists and "if we have nothing to hide" and so on. But on the other measures like this have got to mean terrorists are winning the mental battle as our privacy in this democracy is being massively invaded in the hope of deterring potential attacks.

Even putting aside all the privacy uproar would these things even work - apparently not from the Independent, any health risks from these sounds and the cost?

If a material is low density, such as powder, liquid or thin plastic – as well as the passenger's clothing – the millimetre waves pass through and the object is not shown on screen


I'm not sure who officials are trying to kid when they say people are chosen at random but come on? I mean who is more likely to be chosen - a middle-aged white man with a wife and kids or a teenage black man? You do the maths - another reason why I don't like these scanners. We certainly haven't heard the last of this because as soon as more younger people are targeted, of those of specific minorities it could be blown out of proportion from the media.

This morning watching the Wright Stuff on Channel 5 actor Jonny Freeman made a sound point saying that even if the terrorist threat disappears completely, it would be highly unlikely the scanners would be removed and I agree.

On a lighter note, watching Mock the Week recently Andy Parsons joked it was only a matter of time before groups such as stag do's etc start have a laugh by going through the scanners and it is true they can be abused and mates "set-up", however unlikely.

Manchester Airport, Terminal Two already has one and Terminal One and Three will have soon so well just have to wait and see what happens with this but I stand against them.

Our privacy has been invaded day in and day out from CCTV and now a "naked" body scan - think I'll pass, hold on I can't or else you won't let me fly? Great, very British...

No comments: