Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Communication is all face. Facebook, not face-to-face

Well, it could have been worse for the town I currently live in. But not by much.

According to findings published in today's Mirror my home town is in the top 10 of Facebook users but it is not top - that honour/shame goes to Sunderland.

This story, highlighted on Channel 5's The Wright Stuff, means I might consider a move to Kilmarnock or Motherwell as they had the fewest users.

Not exactly sure how this was judged - I know a few of my friends on Facebook who are pretty much dormant despite having profiles and each city/town has different numbers of people so was that facted in and how?

There is an argument for Facebook being used in a productive way but the majority (me included) use it as something to pass a bit off time now and then and (for some reason) I feel the need to share what I am up to with a possible 23 million users across the country and more worldwide.

It is useful for me to keep in touch with university friends and especially people I meet while in Australia but it brings a slight feeling of shame to me to know that my home town is up near the top on using Facebook - maybe we should concentrate on real things outdoors before sorting out our online image?

No comments: