Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Journalism

A few weeks ago I was feeling quite disillusioned with my career choice of journalism and began to wonder after only 1 year at University if it was really what I wanted to do but after the BBC placement and my soon to be Local newspaper placement my faith in what I am doing with 3 years of my life has been restored.

This post is a bit belated but I have had other things to do :) like losing half a stone at the gym!!

Anyways, why I think I want to go into journalism and be part of the news environment especially, hit me when I was watching the coverage of the "possible" terroirist attacks and the coverage of the airport security. Maybe it caught my eye more because it interrupted programmes on BBC 1 to become a news special or because my dad works at an airport.

Whatever it was, I was intrigued to find out more about what had gone on the night/early morning before I heard about this foiled plot. I found the technology of journalism to be very useful, as by using the red button and watching the news ticker (that must be the first time it has actually been useful) I was brought up-to-the-minute on the events and the security measures.

I am a little biased becuase my account goes off Sky and BBC only but they more than satisfied my Uses and Gratifications so I had no need to change to any other channel. In this society we live in of immediacy we wanted to know everything about what was happening all across the country.

That is what really thrills me about journalism or at least the techinlogy journalism implements...while I was reading the Mirror Newspaper I had bought that morning (which, obviously, had nothing on the foiled plot) I was being kept as updated as possible by reporters at Heathow, Glasgow, Stanstead, Manchester etc and "experts" in the studio. News journalism works so fast and facts have to checked and stories confirmed faster than ever to get the first break of a big news story but to watch all the events unfold really give me a feel of thats what I want to do, never knowing what is coming next and how quickly preparations are made to deal with what is coming next.

For now at least, this is one student Journalist that really is drawn to the news media.

No comments: