Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Steve Penk

I blogged quite a while ago now about how I didn't warm to the idea of Steve Penk taking over my local commercial radio station and, albeit a long way down the line, he has well and truely put his foot in it as Wednesday's whinge by Paul Taylor at the MEN says.

This has made national news, actually international news from The Age and Herald Sun newspapers in Melbourne. In fact, researching this post has made me discover it has made news all over, from Australia to the US.

In summary, Mr "controversial" Penk played Van Halen's song "Jump" as a woman threatened to commit suicide by jumping off a bridge while police tried to stop her.

He said the song was played as a request from a driver stuck in traffic on the M60 and was thankful she wasn't seriously hurt but didn't regret playing it.

We can argue all day about whether he was right or not to do it, personally I thing wrong, but bottom line is it's publicity and that's what he's all about. He owns a commercial radio station and the interest in this story will get interest in the station...see where I'm going here?

I don't like the guy and didn't like the few prank calls I heard him make but that's the sense of humour he has and it if works then good for him and I wish him all the best but I certainly won't be tuning in to see how he goes but I am not against listening to the rest of the station's output.

On another note I am, barring death or the millennium bug striking in 2010 hoping to post more than last year as well which was my slowest recorded year for posting so far...ooppsy.

No comments: