Friday, October 10, 2008

Life After University

It was my aim when I started this blog for it to be based on the media and journalism but that just has not happened unfortunately and I can't blame anyone but myself. It has become more of a personal diary on the internet and as someone on a forum I frequent said:


"If you are going to start a blog make it interesting and relevant - not something that adds to the already massive amount of crap that clogs up the world wide web."


However, in an attempt to change the things I post about from stuff like this:


I have received my final certificate regarding my journalism degree so that is me offically finished at Uni with a 2:2, not what I wanted at the start but that's the way it goes sometimes. I now know my date for graduation and have two NCTJ exams coming up (Newswriting on the 18 and PA on the 19 November) while holding down a 31-hours a week part time job at a local supermarket to raise money for my trip down under sometime next year.


To something a little more like the below. Still my personal views and opinions but not on my personal life.

Anyways, beginning this new era I am going to voice my discontent at the change of style of my local radio station. This is the blurb on the website and it is bluntly honest:



The ‘New' Revolution. Previously the station was targeting aficionados of new bands and ‘cutting-edge' music. Going forward we will be a broad-based classic and contemporary hits station for Oldham, Rochdale, Ashton-Under-Lyne and surrounding areas. We are unashamedly ‘mainstream', targeting adults aged 25-54.


Personally, I was a big fan of the "old" revolution, something which helped when I had my three placements there on the news team but now I tune in and tune out right away. I remember a piece in the paper about Mr Steve Penk who said something along the lines of instead of targeting a niche listenership they were going for the more mainstram audience - like, say, Key 103 ... but here is the story from Jemima Kiss @ MediaGuardian.

The radio station used to be more like an XFM Manchester which is something I tuned in for but now it has gone all classic and contemporary hits it is not something I go for. I will be interested to know what other listeners have thought, obviously the station will have lost some of its 1.4% local audience share but will others have come back/discovered this new-themed radio station?

I may not like the change but I remember Steve Penk on Key 1o3 and the prank phone-calls = times of laughter. So after the guy put money into this I hope he gets the rewards out of it. And they say you can't please everyone but if it grows on the 1.4% local audience share it did have then I will take my hat off and say, well done Mr Penk.

No comments: