Thursday, December 17, 2009

Joe McElderry Vs Rage Against the Machine

How could I not post about this being a music fan an all and not having watched a moment of the x-factor (except that time in the pub when the landlord had it on).

If you don't know a facebook group has been set up to prevent X Factor winner Joe from being the xmas number one - which X Factor have had four years running.

There are a number of issues here: 1) Joe McElderry - I know nothing of this guy, except he has the same first name as me (well played mate) and this is nothing personal I am sure but the cover of a Miley Cyrus song...hmm. He must have been brillant to win X Factor but that doesn't give him the right to xmas number one.

2) Xmas number one - When I was growing up people "earned" this more than the X Factor junk that is a cover of someone else's song anyway and is timed just to do this. For the past few years "campaigns" have been launched to dislodge a particular song from the top spot or get a old classic to the top with no luck but this year may be different....

3) The choice of song. Ironic ay? "F**k you I won't do what you tell me?" Er, actually yes I will by buying and downloading the song! Rage are brillant there is no doubting that but why the song was chosen out of all the tunes out there. Just have to go with it.

4) Sony - Yes, 99 per cent of people that have downloaded RATM know both labels will line Sony's pockets but it's about more than that. The bigger picture is some cover of a s**t song won't get to number 1 based on timing and nothing else.

5) Facebook - Now this is scary. One group and so many members - jumping on the bandwagon comes to mind. This particular exercise may be nothing more than a bit of fun but if the song does beat Joe than the power of social networking cannot be denied. To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if the people who started this actually have some connection to Sony!
Just take a step back and think how all the media have picked up on one social networking site group's campaign for xmas number one and how (at the time of posting) the song is pretty much level.
If the group had not been created how many people would have really downloaded RATM this xmas - not many, if any.

Finally, I hope to goodness RATM win as I like the song and don't think X Factor should be an automatic number 1 for Christmas. I will be listening Sunday before 7 (to boost Radio 1 listening figures...) but doubt it will previal. Even if it doesn't it should be number two and if it does, than it shows the power of social networking than (I think) has never been seen before.

Right, what's next then Frankie Boyle for President. I'll get right onto that...

No comments: