Saturday, April 04, 2009

It's early April

Grouse, Fair Dinkum, Mate and No Worries but no Foster's beer apparently.


I have decided to do a monthly thing at the moment.


Australia is quite nice, the weather, the sights and staying with my relatives is awesome.


I have seen a Melbourne Victory Game, the MCG and AFL football, although the team I have to support, due to my Cousin, (Richmond Tigers) are not doing that well but the relatives I am staying with go for Essendon Bombers, who are doing a bit better.


The sights are quite spectacular - I wish I had brought my camera lead to share some of the pics - Melbourne is a very nice city compared to what I am used to ;) However, my first set of 150 pictures were deleted and despite recovery attempts only some have been retrieved :(


As I said before I am employed as a casual journalist and after a lot of e-mails and phone calls I have secured a one day a week role at The Journal newspaper, owned by Fairfax papers in regional Victoria.


Trips to local radio stations, including PBS and Triple R, proved unsuccessful but a meeting on Feb 17 gave me a starting date of Feb 25.


I have been there a month now, patrolling the Maroondah, Yarra Ranges, Monash and Knox regions like Jon Snow on Channel 4 but only on Wednesday's! But many articles have already been added to the porfolio and the trip has been extended to early May.


I have been to Preston (in Melbourne), Lorne to see the 12 Apostles and Great Ocean Road, the Moomba festival, helped my (sort of) cousin house-sit in Albert Park - seeing the F1 Practice and seeing the band Dirt River Radio live while mixing with a dog, three cats, 4 birds and plenty of fish in a quite little suburb I now call home for the next however long.

No comments: