Friday, May 13, 2011

sad deathnight

The time of the year has come around again where I celebrate a birthday. I didn't do much celebrating this time around, already had over 20 of them. My day consisted of beer and music.

I still need a new camera and money from kind and giving relatives will go towards that. I got a few happy B'day texts but no facebook (or any other social networking site) messages as privacy remains paramount. Yet I have a blog?!

Obviously I share my birthday with hundreds/thousands? of people but here are a few of the well-known ones (at least from my perspective):
Kieron Pollard (West Indies cricketer)
Graeme Dott (Snooker player)
Jonah Lomu (New Zealand Rugby player)
Jim Furyk (USA golfer)
Catherine Tate (actress and more)
Tony Hawk (skateboarder)
Emilio Estevez (Actor)
Yogi Berra (one of the few Baseball players I have heard of)
Florence Nightingale (Nurse and probable inventor of the pie chart)

But May 12 is synonymous with another date and not a pleasant one either. The day is when a book by Kate McCann will be published called "Madeleine". Just to jog your memory a little further, if needed, Madeleine McCann went missing on May 3 2007 from a Algarve apartment in Praia de Luz.

Whatever you think of the McCann's eating dinner with friends while the kids were unsupervised in the apartment (despite regular checks), the Portuguese and UK investigation, all the media attention and the "are they suspects, are they not" parade. Some will criticise and others will sympathise.

It doesn't seem privately or publicly we are any closer to knowing whether Maddie is dead/alive in Portugal or in USA or anywhere else. I'm not a parent so have no idea of their emotions but as the fourth year passes by I could guess the not knowing factor is not getting much easier. Let's hope one day we can embrace in a bit of good news. . .

No comments: