Sunday, May 01, 2011

Change

I don't like it. Never have, never will. From the 1 and 2p's in my pocket to the circumstances I have to adapt my approach to, be it in the real or online world I am not a advocate of change "if it isn't broke don't fix it".

However, in the technologically driven age we live we have/are forced to change. This change is probably too quick but at lot of it has opened up unimaginable possibilities to the average joe which even 50 years ago would have been laughed off stage.

I don't keep up to speed on technological news, I haven't got a ps3, IPod or IPad, Blackberry and my phone is more than five years old. But I don't think I could live happily ever after without my technological comforts to pass the time (ps2, phone, TV, radio, laptop).

As my intellectual level is slipping by the day the only speech I can offer about change is the one the Janitor makes in TV sit-com Scrubs when J.D. announces he is leaving. And to top that off, I can't actually find it online anywhere but he says something along the lines off: "...and there it is, change begets change, begets change".

There is more than that but it gets at my basic point - and I hope I am not alone - in not embracing change.

As I am still looking for a journalism job I keep browsing the jobsites and recently the MEN jobs mine has changed as it is now powered by Fish4Jobs, Gorkana has a different layout and even Holdthefrontpage has had a refresh.

I love a good re-design, not sure all of the above have made their sites more user-friendly, but who am I too judge that? Even the Maroondah Journal I worked on in Australia has become the Maroondah Weekly and most editorial staff I knew at the newspaper have moved on as it is approaching two years ago now since I had my Aussie adventure.

Maybe that is why I am trying to put a dent in change. Because, at the moment, I have none of it. Still at Asda, not getting anywhere in job applications, almost mid-20's - all my life seems to consist of is : wake up, pass the time, drink, eat and sleep in varying orders!

I am able to do most things at a basic level - sport, piano, drive, computer games, Spanish, shorthand, understand local and global news, grasp how the human body works and how the universe works but none anywhere near good enough to use as my Mastermind subject. I lack the drive and decisive skills to pick one and run with it and I can only see that as being one of my many downfalls.

Seems like change is here to stay though so what can I do except embrace it and shut up?! Dust myself off, make some goals and try and reach them instead of moping in my comfort zone routine. I do hope other people suffer the inner conflict that change bestowes on me, not because I want others to be as confused as me but it would be nice to know I am not alone.

No comments: