Saturday, December 25, 2010

A not so Merry Christmas

It does make me laugh a little how people seem to get caught up so much in Christmas, I have seen one part of it through working at ASDA, and especially caught up on December 25.

The world doesn't stop and a large number of people are still grafting on a day when most of us (me included) are sat around a tree unwrapping presents.

I got some and gave some "nice" things but I didn't ask for anything as I don't need anything. The latest versions of stuff don't interest me at the moment. If I have something and it works, why change? Although my possession of new technology is not scarce.

It could be argued that people deserve a day to be self-indulgent and focus on themselves and the new gifts they get as they are aware of the unpleasant things for the rest of time.

Christmas isn't recognised everywhere and foreign disasters have happened before towards the end of the year and in Pakistan again today a suicide bomber killing nearly 50 people.

Really though, December 25 is just like every other day and just because we are in our own cacoon's of gluttony, others are far from it. From the family coming together to the Christmas turkey, a routine is set and stuck to and everyone is caught up in the moment.

A lot of people wished me "Merry Christmas" but I am not a practicing Christian and many of the well-wishers aren't so what does it mean really and why do we give out and receive gifts on this day?

Basically, the point of this post is to spare a thought/moment for those who are not as lucky as ourselves and those who will always take bad memories away from this December 25.

It is unconfirmed as yet but it seems likely that the body of 25-year-old Joanna Yeates, the architect who went missing on December 17, has been found today. On a day when the majority of the population feels as they do, how must her parents/friends be feeling? I can only guess and I suppose there is still hope that it is not Ms Yeates, but that will only mean grief for another set of people.

A day we all associate with the trivialities of modern life will never ever be the same for the Yeates family and friends if the post-mortem finds the expected results. While we enjoy the day that will be remembered for all good, just remember they'll be a lot of people who will look back on this day and recall only sadness.

No comments: