Friday, September 25, 2009

That's a wrap people

I am posting for what will be final time from Fairfax offices in Bayswater, Melbourne.
I have put an out of office on my e-mails and spoken to a few contacts telling them that's it I am off back home on Monday.
Montrose training ended last night and my last day of work is around one hour from ending as well.

What can I say? I planned to come here for a month in the hope of some work experience but I ended up working for Fairfax Media as a casual journalist for pretty much seven months.
I have had articles on the front page, in news, sport, entertainment and features - the company really have been so good to me and trustworthy.

Unfortunately, the two applications for New Zealand jobs were unsuccessful - mostly due to my circumstances of Visas and not being a settled resident. Again, both responses told me straight out when I asked and explained my situation, my chances were slim and I appreciate them not messing me around.

I have been treated well in Melbourne. My work team have given me gifts including a pen and a wallet, Montrose gave me a shirt to keep and I can't say enough positively about my (sort of) cousin and her mum and step-dad who I have lived with since I arrived.
My time here has also taken me to Sydney, Canberra, Hobart and Perth and I have filled three camera memory cards.

I will miss all the family and friends I have made here, the animals, the lifestyle and the routine I had gotten into but I am looking forward to seeing my family and friends, having home comforts like my laptop and PS2 available and seeing what future challenge lies ahead for me.

All that's left to do now is enjoy my final few days here the best I can and ready myself, as much as I can, for leaving Australia to go back to England.

No comments: