Friday, September 11, 2009

How to stop people speeding nowadays

You know when you're just getting around and you have a sort of light bulb coming on moment?
Well, I had one of those after my last training session ahead of my last game this Sunday. (Incidentally, we won last week in the Ressies meaning I got my first points for my Aussie soccer team).
Back to the point, I was trying to keep to the speed limit on a 70km/h with no cars anywhere near me and had to resist the tempation to put my foot on the gas.
I asked myself why and the answer is pretty simple: because everything else is available so easily and quickly nowadays.
We don't have to wait for TV, Internet, Music, to speak to people etc etc because technology has evolved so much.
Yet we have to wait to get where we are going in a car because of speed limits.
Which, of course, there are very valid reasons for but we just want to get where we are going all the time = why we hate public transport ;)
For example, my friends mum was once caught speeding for doing less than 10 mp/h over the speed limit and I know the law is the law but it was hardly like she was driving recklessly (or so I was told!)
My point here, is that we live in a world where we expect everything instantaneously and don't want to wait for anything so when you are just cruising around in a car it goes against the grain to not get where you are going as quickly as possible.
Now, slight problem because that is illegal and some people in getting to where they are going drive too fast but I am sure people have sat in their cars cruising along at the speed limit thinking if only they could go faster they would get to their destination faster and not be wasting valuable, precious moments they could be on their PS3 or iPod.
I'm not what can be done about this except building cars that only go so fast that you can't possibly exceed the speed limit but that won't work unless speed limits everywhere are the same which is a stupid idea so I am open to suggestions.
But I think (until we get cars that fly through tunnels in the sky) the problem is only going to get worse - everyone is so impatient we don't have time to cruise around in a car even if going faster increases the chance of an accident.
Any ideas?

No comments: