Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Teletext swiched off

This is devastating. Absolutely devastating.

Teletext has been going 17 years and Ceefax from 1974 but has been losing money and its demise puts around 70 jobs at risk. January is goodbye to telextext, 2012 is goodbye to Ceefax?

But at least Teletextholidays will continue...

The BBC's Ceefax will be fazed out around digital switchover time and moved to the red button interactive service.

I guess this shows how much me and a Uni colleague were/are out of date. We championed it as a news source when no-one else did in our uni days. We thought it was around the future not just the past but alas, how wrong we were.

I mean, all you needed to do was switch on your TV, press text and away you went - to news, sport, entertainment, tv listings and so much more.

I am going to go and have a look at the have your say bit to see what people have to say after posting this. But you can only e-mail and text responses.

Everyone else seems to be going down memory lane so here I go...

...I always used to have teletext football scores flashing up whenever footy or even cricket was on. I sometimes even pressed hold to see how far the numbers got round before the next goal was updated! (sad I know)

Many a time I have spent a good half hour looking at the sport, entertainment and news stories on Ceefax - without needing to start up my pc and choose from the plethora of sites available.

And no-one has asked what is going to happen to such things as Question Time on BBC One where you could see people's opinions on Ceefax?! I guess it will be on the red "freaking" button.

The news broke about a week ago and plenty of people have had something to say about it but not much we can do apart from sit back and enjoy it while it's still here, unless someone bails it out.

Step by step online is taking over the world mmwmwwhhhaaa. All we need now is VictoriaPolice to join twitter and post updates on how their operations are going....oh.

No comments: