Saturday, June 17, 2006

MBE, OBE, CBE??

Yes this is a post on the Queens 80th birthday honours list. Is it just me or are us Brits really traditonal? I mean, do we really need a "royal family" anymore? I appreciate they have done some important things in the past and were crucial to the UK being how it is today but nowadays, they don't really do a lot now do they?
Anyway, its the awarding of MBE, OBE, CBE's that really hacks me off. Well maybe not the idea of it, I think people should be recognised IF they make a big contribution to their area of expertise and help other people but, this is cynical, why did Graham Thorpe, that police chief and Barry Ferguson got MBE's?? Graham Thorpe was an excellent cricketer and hes a nice guy but has he helped improve the game so much as in he deserves and MBE? IMO: No he hasn't and its the same for quite a few other people. They just seem to be given out without too much research and thought going into it. However, many people do deserve recognition and this link http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/5087176.stm shows that many local people have got recognition for their local efforts, which is great and a credit to the whole idea. But, still thats the list for sport only and I know I wouldn't be complaining if I got one (*hint*) but they do seem to be given out to "well-known" people just for publicity because all the not well-known people, get their deserved recognition but not publicity. Maybe its me, maybe its just the media distorting my view in its coverage or maybe I'm right. Everyone has their own opinions and I've just shared mine.

No comments: