Thursday, August 19, 2010

A to Z level

A Level results are out today ladies and gents and good news, the pass rate has gone up (again, I hear you shout?!)

Apparently the exam system was toughened up, whatever that means, yet one in 12 still got the new A* star grade and the overall pass rate was 97.6%.

Pro A-Levellers will be wowing about how good this generation is demonstrated by the wonderful results.

Anti A-Levellers will be moaning how grades have got easier and students don't need to work as hard as they did back in "their day."

The question remains : exams getting easier or students getting better?

The more a subject is taught new methods are learnt and developments made in the way it is taught are made so with each year it is understandable how grades go up.

Exams should be hard, and I know mine were, but they need to provide solid foundations.

660,000 (sounds better like this : Six hundred and sixty thousand) people applied for university this year despite tuition fees and more and more graduates not being able to put their degrees to good use.

Personally, I was your average student. The Average Joe, if you will.

It was not for want of effort - I tried and studied much harder than I did for most of my days at university but I wasn't "gifted" by any stretch.

I just want to extend my sympathies for those who didn't get their results they needed and now might have to go through clearing or miss out on university altogether.

I achieved a C in Media, C in ICT and D in English Language - despite one of my English exams papers being used as the perfect mock answer for future students...

Also, on the day to add to all the stress, anxiety and nerves a certain exam board got my result wrong by missing out one of my modules but I digress.

I got home scared sh*tless I wouldn't get into university and on the phone to UCLan to see whether they would still take me, but luckily I was allowed on board for the three year cruise.

But here I am now, after my degree, numerous job placements and media volunteering, a job as a journalist in Melbourne and I am still without the career I think I still want.

My point is, keep your chin up if it hasn't worked out today amongst all the "clever clogs" and utter gloaters - just pass them by and move on.

If you haven't got your first choice course hopefully you'll get some other of your choices. If not, other courses and applying again next year with work experience, a part-time course completed in the gap could be beneficial.

Otherwise, do what a few people I know have done - sod it all and go travelling :) Your young go and bloody enjoy yourself!

No comments: