Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Analogue BBC Two...your time is up

This is the news the analogue BBC 2 signal went off at midnight last night and it went all digital which is expected to be completed later today. At the moment all I have on my screen is blue nothingness because I am served by the Winter Hill transmitter.

I was actually just going to bed at midnight last night and am cursing I forgot to tune in for the last few seconds of analogue BBC 2 TV as they had a light and sound display on the history of television in Manchester city centre so I will definetly be awake for the switchover of BBC One, ITV1, Channel 4 and Five when they are permanently switched on December 2.

I will certainly be interested to hear how much chaos it does actually cause throughout the north-west today and other regions, as reported by Sean Poulter in the Daily Mail and commented on by 40-0dd people at last check.

There are thirty advice points across the region, apparently, and it's not as if we've not been told about this - even I knew and I had been out of the country for eight months until late September.

But someone in the north-west will be confused and think of all those people without Sky or Freeview...programmes such as Newsnight, Autumnwatch and Strictly...it takes two will be left devastated.

There is a lot of discussion, some for, some against and some sitting-on-the-fence posters on reghardware where you can go back to see the actual article. But like it or lump it the digital swithcover is here and within a month analogue will be no more in the north west.

Future here we come.

No comments: