Monday, November 12, 2007

I am an idiot

I might be in my third year of journalism at University but I still know how to bugger it up!

With only 4 weeks to go until my first placement we are working on portfolio's (2 self-generated, 1 council, 1 vox pop and 1 feature article) and today I interviewed someone for one of my self-generated stories.

I spent Saturday and Sunday checking my questions and finding out where the place is using google maps, their own website and the Preston A-Z I have. Well, it all went wrong, lesson learned, I should have gone down their on foot sometime over the weekend as I got lost rang him up making me sound like a complete idiot. I finally arrived about 20 minutes late and had broke into a sweat! So I had a chance to re-deem myself with my questions but oh no, I had to screw it up again and look like I hadn't put in the background research and I didn't know what sort of angle I wanted for the story. All in all, this interview was the result of shodiness on my part - thats why I am only at Uni though. I can now (hopefully) learn from my mistakes....

In an update about what I am doing at the moment, we have 2 hours of Shorthand per day which I am gradually getting the hang of and I am half way through an essay about how technological advances are helping/hindering the quality of news journalism so third year is going ok mostly. My involvement with Pluto, the student paper, has been non-existent which I know I should be kicking myself about but my involvement with Frequency, the student radio station, is going as strong as ever. The weekend show 9-11am, soon to be changing to 10-12 is going as strong as ever. Makes me think I yearn to do broadcast more than print? Who knows, guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I think this is a point to put in my essay. I have just ranted my thoughts in my head and typed them up, I am soon to post this so that everyone, everywhere can see - I don't think anyone realises the potential implications the internet has. I'll that for another day though....

No comments: